Laurea Degree, 1987, Electronic
Engineering, Politecnico di Milano,
Ph.D., 1993, Biomedical Engineering, Politecnico
di Milano, Milan, Italy.
Carlo Combi was born in 1962. In 1987 he received the Laurea
Degree in E.E. by the Politecnico of Milan. In 1993 he received the
Ph.D. degree in biomedical engineering. He was in 1994 and 1995
Post-Doc fellow at the Department of Biomedical Engineering of the
Politecnico of Milan. From 1987 to 1996 he worked within the research
group in Medical
Informatics at the Politecnico of Milan.
1996 to October 2001, Carlo Combi was with the Department
of Mathematics and Computer Science of the University
of Udine as Assistant Professor.
Since November 2001, he is
with the Department of Computer
Science of the University of
Verona. From November 2001 to February 2005, he was Associate
Professor of Computer Science; since March 2005, he is Professor of
Since October 2007, he is head of the
Since July 2009 he is chair of the Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine Society (AIME).
He is author, with
Elpida Keravnou (University of Cyprus) and Yuval Shahar (Ben-Gurion
University of the Negev) of the book Temporal
Information Systems in Medicine, Springer,
Main research interests are related to the database field, with an
emphasis on the management of clinical information. The two main
- temporal information systems
- temporal workflow systems:
modeling issues and architectures;
- temporal business processes:
- temporal constraint networks and
- temporal functional dependencies;
- temporal data warehouses and
temporal data mining;
- XML, semistructured data and
- dealing with multiple temporal
dimensions in modeling and querying data;
- extending Event Calculus to deal
with temporal granularity and indeterminacy;
- visualizing temporal data;
- managing uncertainty in temporal
relationships by multiple-valued logics;
- WWW-based access to temporal
- dealing with granularity and
indeterminacy in modeling and querying object-oriented temporal
- multimedia databases
- modeling and querying multimedia
- temporal features of multimedia
- indexing structures;
- compression techniques applied on biomedical signals and
Current and Graduated Ph.D. students
Sabaini (-): "Temporal Data Warehouses"
Gambini (2012): "The Design of Graphical Process Modeling
Languages: from Free Composition to Modular Construction"
Pozzani (2011): "Modeling and querying spatio-temporal
clinical databases with multiple granularities"
- Rosalba Rossato (2006): "Temporal
Functional Dependencies and Trends with multiple granularities"
- Barbara Oliboni
(2003): "Blind queries and constraints: representig flexibility
and time in semistructured data" (co-advisor)
- Editorial Board Member, journal Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine.
- Editorial Board Member, journal International
Journal of Computers in Healthcare.
- Guest editor (with Mor Peleg, University of Haifa), >special issue on Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine AIME 2011 (selected papers), journal
- Guest editor (with Yuval Shahar, Ben-Gurion University of the
Negev), special issue on Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine AIME 2009 (selected papers), journal
- Guest editor (with Niels Peek - University of Amsterdam, and
Allan Tucker - Brunel University) of a special section of the
of Information in Medicine on biomedical
data mining (2009).
- Member of the Scientific Committee, special issue on New
Trends in Data Warehousing and Data Analysis (guest editors:
Stanislaw Kozielski - Silesian University of Technology, Poland -
and Robert Wrembel - Poznan University of Technology, Poland),
journal Annals of
Information Systems (2008).
- Guest editor (with Maroua Bouzid - University of Caen, Gerard
Ligozat - University of Paris-SUD, and Michael Fisher, University of
Liverpool), special issue on temporal
representation and reasoning, Annals
of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence (2006).
- Guest editor (with Giuseppe Pozzi, Politecnico di Milano),
special issue on temporal
representation and reasoning in medicine, International
Journal Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (2006).
- Member of the Scientific Committee, special issue on
visualization in medicine (guest editor: Luca Chittaro,
University of Udine), journal Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine (2000).
- Guest editor (with Yuval Shahar, Stanford University),
special issue on intelligent
temporal information systems in medicine, Journal
of Intelligent Information Systems (1999).
- Guest editor (with Yuval Shahar, Stanford University),
special issue on time-oriented
systems in medicine, journal Computers
in Biology and Medicine (1997).
- Reviewer for national and international journals and
Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, IEEE
Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, IEEE
Transactions on Multimedia, Annals
of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, Artificial
Intelligence in Medicine, Computers
in Biology and Medicine, IEEE
Internet Computing, Methods
of Information in Medicine, Rivista di Informatica of
Computer Journal, Journal
of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, Journal
of Logic and Computation, Journal
of Systems and Software, Journal
of Intelligent Information Systems.
Additional reviewer for
international Conferences: ICTL'97 - Second International Conference
on Temporal Logic; TIME'98 - 5th International Workshop On Temporal
Representation And Reasoning; TIME'99 - 6th International Workshop on
Temporal Representation and Reasoning; TIME 2000 - 7th International
Workshop on Temporal Representation and Reasoning; KR2000 - Seventh
International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation
and Reasoning: Workshop on Semantic Approximation, Granularity, and
Vagueness; AAAI-2000 - Seventeenth National Conference on Artificial
Intelligence: Workshop on Spatial and Temporal Granularity; AVI-2002
- 6th International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces.
- Member of the program committee of the 6th Conference on
Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Europe - AIME '97.
and Invited Talks
for Students (in Italian)
Back to University of Verona
Back to Dept. of Computer
March 7, 2013